I prostrate myself before that Guru, the Existence, devoid of the three Gunas, beyond comprehension, the witness of all mental functions, changeless and pure, one and eternal, transcending the pairs of opposites, expansive like the sky, reachable through the sentences like 'Thou art That', the Bliss of Brahman, the Giver of Supreme Happiness, the Mass of Absolute Wisdom.
He whom the Saivas worship as Siva; the Vedantins as the Absolute (Brahman); the Buddhists as Lord Buddha; the logicians, the experts in the theory of knowledge, as the Creator; those following the teachings of Jaina as the Arhat and the ritualists as the Sacrifice; may that Hari, the Lord of the three worlds, give you the desired object.
I worship the great Rishi Vyasa, who is called Krishna-dvaipayana, who is worshipped by gods, men and Asuras alike, who is the form of Vishnu, who is like the light of the rising sun to the darkness of the impurities of the age of Kali, who belongs to the family of Vasishtha, who divided the Vedas into different sections, who is the seed of Dharma, who wrote the Puranas, the Brahma Sutras, the Mahabharata and the Smriti.
I contemplate on Sankaracharya, who is seated in Padmasana, who is tranquil, who is established in self-restraint, whose glory is like that of the enemy of Cupid, who wears the sacred ashes shining on his forehead, whose smiling face resembles the blossomed lotus, who has lotus-like eyes, whose neck is conch-like, holding book in one hand and indicating Jnana-mudra (with another hand), who is adored by the foremost of gods, who gives boons to those who prostrate to him.
SRI SANKARDESIKASHTAM by Hastamalaka
- O ocean of the nectar of illumined knowledge of the whole Sastras! Thou hast revealed the treasure of the meaning of the great Upanishads. I meditate on Thy pure Lotus Feet in my heart, O Sankara Desika (Acharya), be Thou my refuge.
- O ocean of mercy! Protect me who am afflicted sorely by the pains of Samsara; Thou hast expounded the truth of the various schools of philosophy, O Sankara Desika, be Thou my refuge.
- By Thee the humanity has attained happiness. Thou art endowed with a fine intellect reflecting Self-knowledge. I meditate on Thee who expounded the identity of Jiva and Isvara, O Sankara, be Thou my refuge.
- "Thou art my God" – thus thinking my mind became full of joy. Remove the great ocean of delusion in me, O Sankara, be Thou my refuge.
- It is through various meritorious actions done by me for a long time that I have got in me a love for the vision of Thy Lotus Feet. Protect this humble self, O Sankara, be Thou my refuge.
- For the redemption of mankind great souls like Thy Self move about from place to place. Thou seemst to me like the pure and resplendent sun, O Sankara, be Thou my refuge.
- O best of Gurus, O Lord Siva! It is impossible for anyone to gauge Thy mental poise. O Protector of the refugees! O Repository of Knowledge! O Sankara, be Thou my refuge.
- I have not been able to find any treasure worthy of possession except Thee, O Preceptor! Have mercy on me which is Thy natural quality, O Sankara, be Thou my refuge.